In a noteworthy development, Scroll, a key player in the zero-knowledge Ethereum Virtual Machine (zkEVM) domain, has officially introduced its mainnet. Notably, Etherscan data indicates that Scroll's mainnet quietly went live over a week ago, marking a substantial stride in bolstering Ethereum's scalability.
On October 17, the Scroll team proudly announced this achievement, unveiling the fact that existing Ethereum applications and developer toolkits can smoothly transition to this novel scaling solution. Their message was clear: "Everything works seamlessly right out of the box."
After more than two years of building, we are thrilled to announce the launch of Scroll Mainnet.— Scroll 📜 (@Scroll_ZKP) October 17, 2023
As we open the doors to Mainnet, we want to take a moment to reflect on our journey thus far 💛 pic.twitter.com/WKfkjyIkB0
Fundamentally, Scroll's zkEVM solution is designed to bring about cost-efficient transactions and improved throughput for decentralized applications on the Ethereum network. This is achieved by bundling off-chain transactions into batches and presenting a concise data summary as proof on Ethereum's mainnet.
Interestingly, it was discovered that Scroll had kept the news of its mainnet's activation under wraps since October 8 when the first smart contract was deployed on the Scroll mainnet, according to Etherscan records.
The path to this momentous launch involved rigorous testing and security audits over 15 months across three distinct testnets. The bridge and rollup contracts were meticulously reviewed by OpenZeppelin and Zellic, while Trail of Bits, Zellic, and KALOS provided comprehensive assessments of the zkEVM circuits.
The testnets witnessed the deployment of over 450,000 smart contracts, enabling more than 90 million transactions across 9 million blocks. Impressively, Scroll generated 280,000 ZK-proofs, emphasizing its dedication to robust and secure technology.
Notably, Scroll's co-founder, Ye Zhang, had previously indicated that the platform would launch with centralized features but had plans to progressively decentralize over time. Their goal is to eliminate centralization by implementing a roadmap focused on incentivizing community participation and building better proving hardware.
Founded in 2021, Scroll has positioned itself as a community-driven project in the realm of zkEVM solutions aimed at improving Ethereum's scalability. Scroll joins the ranks of other contenders such as Polygon, zkSync, StarkWare, and Immutable.
Jordi Baylina, the technical lead of Polygon Hermez zkEVM, emphasized that competition in the zkEVM space will strengthen the Ethereum ecosystem. Different projects bring diverse experiences and test various approaches, contributing to the continuous evolution and resilience of the Ethereum blockchain. Scroll's entry into this space is expected to play a significant role in this journey.
- Polygon, zkSync and Scroll independently launched the first zkEVMs
- Kakarot zkEVM Brings EVM to Starknet
- Filecoin is live on mainnet!
- AAVE v2 mainnet launch
- Polygon zkEVM Achieves Milestone with Dragon Fruit Upgrade
- Shapella Upgrade, Erigon, EIP-6049 & more - WEB3 Today #1
- Polygon Launches First NFT on zkEVM, Bybit Introduces Lending & More - #WEB3Today #33
- ETH Withdrawals: Everything You Need to Know
- Polygon's L2 Solution
- Ethereum Transaction Lifecycle
- Ethereum Co-Founder Vitalik Buterin Sends $15 Million in USDC to Gemini Exchange
- Uniswap Introduces 0.15% Swap Fee: A Controversial Move in the DeFi World
- JPMorgan’s Blockchain-Based Cross-Border Payment Pilot with First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) a Success
- Uniswap Takes a Groundbreaking Step: Pioneering Compliance in the DeFi Space
- Optimism Network's Fault-Proof Testnet Advances Decentralization Goals
For Press Releases, project updates and guest posts publishing with us, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to EtherWorld YouTube channel for ELI5 content.
Share if you like the content. Donate at avarch.eth or Gitcoin
You've something to share with the blockchain community, join us on Discord!