Currently, the Beacon API operates by necessitating data retrieval, specifically "blobs," based on a block ID. However, there has been a discussion about whether this method of retrieving blobs is adequate for Layer 2 (L2) operations. The suggestion of using versioned hashes as an alternate method for retrieving blobs came in response to a request for feedback from Arbitrum. Implementing this feature would allow L2 teams to retrieve blobs using a versioned hash, thus providing a more efficient and relevant approach for L2 solutions.
The consideration of using versioned hashes is important for L2 operations due to the way these layers function. Unlike the Beacon Chain, which adheres to the block ID system, L2 solutions primarily focus on versioned hashes. Therefore, integrating versioned hashes into the Beacon API would allow for smoother and more effective interactions between the Beacon Chain and L2 solutions.
The successful introduction of a block ID in February was mentioned as a good example, particularly in the case of Optimism. However, it was noted that additional endpoints would necessitate indexing. Arbitrum operates in such a way that only the version hash is stored on the chain, with no block ID. Hence, the inclusion of versioned hashes within the Beacon API would significantly benefit their operations.
Both Arbitrum and Optimism are preparing to participate in the testing phase. Arbitrum is waiting for conditions to stabilize with respect to Devnet 8 before participating, while Optimism plans to rebase its prototype before joining. The Ethereum Core Developers have created PR332: Blob retrieval by versioned hash for further discussion on this matter.
Should you be interested in following Dencun upgrade closely, checkout our curated resource list.
- Dencun: Unveiling the Upcoming Network Upgrade with Finalized Specifications
- EIP-4844 ready for Multi-Client Devnets
- '0-Blob Txns' Omitted from EIP-4844 in Cancun Upgrade
- EIP-4844 Devnet-5 Testing Preparation & Progress
- Mitigating Ethereum Chain re-org scenario with Deneb Upgrade
- SELFDESTRUCT: History, EIPs, Future
- SELFDESTRUCT in Smart Contract: Use Cases
- Coinbase International Exchange, Chain Reorg EIP-4844, Digital Yuan & More - #WEB3Today #34
- ETH Withdrawals: Everything You Need to Know
- Ethereum Transaction Lifecycle
For Press Releases, project updates and guest posts publishing with us, email to email@example.com.
Subscribe to EtherWorld YouTube channel for ELI5 content.
Share if you like the content. Donate at avarch.eth or Gitcoin
You've something to share with the blockchain community, join us on Discord!